Saturday, November 26, 2011

Repent Now Sinners or Spend All Eternity in Hell.

Attn Believers: 


Inflammatory remarks to follow:


Jesus isn't looking at your Facebook wall. He/She doesn't care that you post scripture to your wall every day. I am not talking about the individual that posts the occasional Jesus update, that I can live with. It still leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, but it doesn't cause me as much mental anguish as the habitual Jesus posters.


I grew up going to Catholic church, and there we were told that to read the Bible is to know God, or something like that. I am not going to pretend that I was paying attention the entire time, I just liked the translucent pages of the Bible and the kneeling bench. I can't say that I remember anything about church other than getting to go out to breakfast afterwards with my Grandma and eating the communal dinner mints in the giant glass bowl at the Royal Shield on Cass Avenue and 75th street. 


Call me a critic, but I don't think that Jesus would be too fond of Facebook applications that automatically post Bible versus to your Facebook wall. You do realize that some company is just using your religious belief to make money? As so many have done before. But if you are fine with that, then I am going to develop a new Facebook application that lets you purchase Indulgences. This is a great idea because I can do Holiday Tie-Ins. Cyber Monday- 10 indulgences for the price of 5 only good until Tuesday at 10pm EST...


I guess what upsets me the most about this whole Jesus posting thing is I picture happy Jesus people sitting at their computers about to type in a real Jesusy post and then I imagine the amount of self righteousness they must feel. Their hands tremble in anticipation, sweat begins to collect at their hairline and their index finger shakes ever so slightly as they press the 'post' button. They refresh their page, twice, three times, twenty times in the first minute to see how many people have liked their post. And when someone does like it you feel euphoria, you feel vindicated. 


But in doing so you violating one of the ten commandants or is it one of the seven deadly sins? Either way one of those is definitely being violated and you should know if Jesus IS watching he most surely takes notice. So either Jesus isn't paying attention and you are all wasting precious minutes of time you could be spending towards actual religious devotion typing these posts, or Jesus is paying attention and your attempts to appeal to your own vanity are noticed and they are going down in the book. 


Also this on your Facebook wall doesn't help your cause:


posts of drinking
Jesus/ Bible Verse
posts of you asking material items
posts of you getting material items
Jesus/ Bible Verse
posts of you begging for material items
Jesus/ Bible Verse
posts of you drinking
posts of you discussing materials items
Jesus / Bible Verse


Now I get it, we all want to have fun and the Lord gave us free will and all that Jazz but you can see why I would have problems believing the veracity of your Jesus posts coupled with the tenacity of the vapid consumeristic ones. 


If you wish to do the work of the Lord, whatever you may believe that to be, that's great, just please don't expect me to commend you on it. And if you say you aren't looking for some kind of validation by posting that you are probably lying to yourself, and lying is a sin.

No comments: